Art Director – Brand Marketing Imagery
The Art Director – Brand Marketing Imagery plays a key role in conceptualising and executing the brand image for the Urban Outfitters customer within the European marketplace. This role reports into the Managing Director.
This position requires:
- A highly motivated and creative individual to inspire and lead the creative marketing, photography and styling teams.
- A high taste level with a unique combination of aspirational and accessible fashion imagery is necessary.
- An ability to be an effective and seasoned leader and present creative concepts to Senior Executives with the ability to articulate from both a creative and commercial perspective.
- A proven track record of creating top class imagery and delivering commercially successful campaigns
- An ability to apply a strategic approach to brand imagery and use it as a positioning tool to elevate and differentiate.
Brand Imagery Creative Direction
- Conceptualise seasonal and monthly direction of brand imagery.
- Ensuring the brand is industry leading and constantly innovating approach to create emotional and elevated product photography.
- Collaborate with UO Europe Marketing, Ecommerce, Buying, Design and Merchandising teams to align on brand product campaigns, develop unique shoot concepts
- Align with Design to ensure imagery aligns with seasonal trends.
- Align with the Managing Director on UO Europe brand objectives.
- Conceptualise all editorial UO Europe photo shoot assignments, including mood boards, casting, styling, hair and makeup and location direction. Ensure each element is appropriate to the UO brand and that the final execution is true to the approved concept.
- Oversee casting direction, including finding models appropriate to menswear and womenswear, e-commerce and editorials, beauty and intimates, fitness and activewear, and other specialised product areas to align with the UO brand image.
- Create approval presentations for photographers, models, locations, and shoot concepts.
- Ensure Executive feedback and approvals are incorporated into the pre-production process.
- Regularly hindsight shoot results and feedback with teams and Executives.
- Collaborate with the Retail creative department to take campaign imagery beyond the website through additional omni-level print projects, promotions, display, signage, and beyond.
- Research and gather inspiration, and stay abreast of competitors, new methods and trends applicable to the brand identity; develop original and creative ways to continually evolve brand imagery.
- Oversee the creative side of the studio team(s) in both on-figure and still life product imagery across multiple product categories.
- Collaborate with all teams on process and workflow queries and evolution, guidelines, and retouching.
- Maintain efficiency and productivity in all process.
Styling and Merchandising
- Attend seasonal trend concept meetings and key product review meetings.
- Attend monthly product rack ups to review upcoming assortment and determine collaboratively with how best to feature trend concepts, key categories and special product messages in the brand imagery.
- Collaborate with the styling team on key trends, buys, and emerging ideas in the assortment, to identify strategies that complement the brand ID.
Creative Marketing Strategy and Execution
- Develop annual, seasonal and monthly marketing imagery strategies from initial concept, goals and objectives, creative briefs, through to timelines, budget, and execution.
- Ensure brand voice and point of view is curated and consistently maintained across all channels in copy, imagery, and subject matter in the European Market.
- Lead and execute the creative process of brand partnership marketing to develop creative ideas in support of external brand launches and campaigns.
- Excel at communicating big ideas, and leading meetings and presentations. Be highly articulate in all areas of brand communication, including writing decks, releases, and recaps.
Budgeting and Production
- Oversee budget to stay in line with monthly and quarterly plans; ensure that costs are managed, and creative plans are adjusted according to budget expectations.
- Ensure effective management of shoot calendar, ensuring all shoots are produced in a timely manner and meet website, in-store and print production deadlines.
- Forecast annual budget and payroll needs for the department in collaboration with Brand Finance.
- Motivate and inspire the team, and work collaboratively to incorporate their ideas into the creative vision for the UO Europe brand.
- Develop overall creative workflow for increased and effective production of assets and messaging.
- Manage weekly shooting schedules to ensure imagery can be delivered effectively and on time, and all product is available for purchase.
- Write and deliver formal written and verbal reviews for all direct reports on an annual basis.
- Oversee the scheduling, presentation, approval, distribution and execution of all projects pertaining to the photo studio and editorial imagery.
- At least 3-5 years of onset art direction experience with top photographers
- Preferably a high-end editorial background or creative agency background with experience in executing local and global campaign imagery.
- An intuitive understanding and vision of the Urban Outfitters brand and customer
- Broad knowledge of contemporary photography
- Understanding of web and UX design
- Competent in Capture One, LightRoom, Photoshop, InDesign
- Technical understanding of lighting a set
- Experience with design and editing
- Ability to recognise and respond to current design, fashion and cultural trends
- Ability to manage and delegate all facets of multiple projects, schedules and budgets from concept through execution
- Excellent interpersonal, management and presentation skills with an ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Multitask on several projects and work with tight schedules from concept through