JOB TITLE: Senior Commercial Finance Analyst (9 months -1 year Fixed Term)
FUNCTION: Brand Finance
REPORTING TO: Commercial Finance Manager
LOCATION: West Street, London, WC2H 9NA
MAIN STAKEHOLDERS: Multiple
This 9 month – 1 year contract exists as we have our current Snr Commercial Finance Analyst going out on Maternity Leave. The role will continue to evolve the work to date, which supports the requirements of the Commercial Finance Manager and the EU Managing Director in supporting the commercial, FPA process across Anthropologie EU business. It would suit an experienced finance professional, who is looking to develop their career in a dynamic, fashion-fwd retail business, in a business partnering role within the Brand Finance team.
The role has varied scope and is an active partner in championing financial, business discipline across the whole organisation. Delivering the right information, at the right time, to the right people, so they can make the right business decisions is the key concept to this role, all with a profit-centric mindset.
This role interacts across multiple departments & seniority, so would suit a driven individual who has excellent interpersonal skills and gravitas. The individual must have a pro-active and naturally inquisitive nature, who with an analytical, finance and business centric ethos, can drive profitability. A keen & quick eye – both to detail / data integrity, as well as an ability to spot the wider story is vital – thus must be at ease with large volumes of complex data, across multiple systems and still be able to summarise coherently and accurately to a wide audience. The role does involve basic elements, such as data entry, so the individual must be willing to work in detail, accurately and efficiently.
The role will suit an individual who has high integrity, a business focused individual, who has a positive ‘can do’ attitude and has the flexibility, plus willingness to adapt to varying complex workloads & sometimes ambiguous demands and time-line.
1) Finance Leadership / Partnership
- Be an active partner to the Commercial Finance Manager and rest of the organisation in driving Anthropologie EU business & financial performance
- Champion financial discipline across all areas and levels across the business
- Champion process, work practice enhancements, by constantly challenging how we work, looking to improve as we scale the role & organisation to ensure that we can spend more time on adding value.
2) Business Partnering
- Build relationships with finance teams across URBN, including the Anthropologie brand finance team based in the US and the shared services central finance team in the UK
- Continue to develop Brand Finance as the finance point of contact, a valued partner across the brand, shared & US finance teams on all financial matters related to the Anthropologie EU brand
- Build relationships with both Anthropologie non-finance team(s) & URBN shared functions to develop understanding of their respective businesses, and consider how brand finance can better support their needs and aspirations
- Evolve the partnership with the ecommerce & marketing, to support the new Head of Ecommerce aspirations
3) Profit and Loss Accounts / Profit Ownership
- Support the brand finance ownership of the profit and loss accounts, across retail, direct & wholesale channels
- Develop a detailed understanding of all the profit and loss line(s), and the root drivers of each spend/revenue line
- Support the delivery of robust month-end process, working closely with the shared accounts team,
- Complete various performance reports, i.e. marketing performance, store payroll, store bonus
- Complete ad hoc analysis, bridges and reconciliations as required
- Work with budget owners across the Anthropologie brand to deliver detailed variance analysis and tracks, creating insightful commentary as appropriate
- Supporting the accrual process (for specific teams) and invoice reconciliation
- Reconcile and approve various items, i.e. inter-company cross charges, Pcard cost allocations
4) Forecasting & Analytics
- Lead the completion of the monthly forecast & analytics process for the Anthropologie EU brand,
- Loading the line detail forecast across the P&Ls, reconciling & validating the load and working to deliver a business cohesive and accurate representation of the business position
- Complete ad hoc analysis and reconciliations, as requested
- Completion of cost centre packs, monthly business deck and various month-end ad hoc analysis
- Challenge and engage the budget holders as appropriate, during timely cost centre reviews
- Completion of various reports, 4-wall report (store portfolio pack), etc
- Own quarterly deck submissions to Anthropologie US FPA function
- Lead the budget process for the Anthropologie brand in the EU,
- Loading line detail across the brand-owned P&L lines, reconciling and ensure integrity
- Challenging & setting specific budget(s) for specific cost centre owners. Working to an over-arching financial business goal, whilst supporting the business holders needs and wants
- Supporting in producing the planning deck & all associated backing templates & reconciliations
5) Business Planning
- Complete and maintain the long-term business strategy plan for Anthropologie EU
- Analyse and evaluate potential new retail locations,
- Complete pro forma and scenario analyses for new store opportunities
- Deliver recommendations to senior management, enabling them to make data and profitability driven decisions in a timely manner
- Partner and support business as appropriate, on ad hoc business initiatives and goals
6) Ad Hoc / General / Other
- Ad hoc support as appropriate when required & able to deputise as/when required
- Develop financial models & analyses to support initiatives – whether that be promotional activity reviews, ROI analysis on new infrastructure initiatives, delivery analysis, etc
- Qualified with minimum of 5 years’ experience of commercial financial planning and analysis, ideally in a fast, dynamic environment
- A strong, well-rounded understanding of the Retail industry, preferably with experience across ecommerce and ‘bricks and mortar’ stores.
- Willingness and ability to do ‘the detail’ tasked, whilst able to balance with the senior elements of role
- Proactive and curious nature, with a ‘can do’ attitude
- A confident communicator, who can flex communication styles to build strong working relationship.
- Ability do drive own workload, work autonomously and lead cross-functional workload in a considered, timely manner in line with the business requirements and needs
- Highly proficient in Excel and confident working across multiple systems, proactively evolving learning and best practices as develop experience